Under the direction of the Director of Finance and Internal Audit, the Internal Audit and Risk Manager will provide independent, objective assurance and consulting services designed to add value and improve the City of Saint John’s operations. The Manager will be highly professional, work well with others and maintain a positive attitude while leading the work for the internal audit plan and conducting key risk management responsibilities.
The incumbent will assist in the mission of internal audit to enhance and protect organizational value by providing risk-based and objective assurance, advice, and insight. The internal audit service helps the City of Saint John accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of governance, risk management, and control processes.
The scope of internal audit activities encompasses, but is not limited to, objective examinations of evidence for the purpose of providing independent assessments to Finance Committee, management, and outside parties on the adequacy and effectiveness of governance, risk management, and control processes for the City of Saint John. All activities of the City of Saint John and their Boards, Authorities and Agencies may be subject to audit where legislatively permissible.
The work to be conducted in relation to enterprise risk management will enhance the maturity of the City’s existing risk management program and to provide oversight of one of the key controls which is the management of the insurance program, along with management of first-party and third-party claims at the City. The manager will oversee the duties of one full time staff member who conducts the daily activities in relation to insurance and claims at the City. The position is also designated as the City’s Risk Manager which contains specific responsibilities to represent the City in all insurance related matters as described in the City of Saint John’s Council adopted Risk Management Policy.
The Finance and Administration Services team currently participates in a one-year pilot work week schedule with hours between Monday-Thursday every week, with exceptions to the schedule granted on a case-by-case basis. The pilot program can be discontinued at any time with a formal review to be performed in fall of year 2023. The purpose of the Compressed Work Week Policy for the employees of the City of Saint John is to enhance the overall working experience by offering greater flexibility to balance life commitments while maintaining or exceeding access to public services for the citizens of Saint John. In addition, the City provides telework opportunities for management with approval from Human Resources and Senior Management.
- Contribute to the development and annual submission of the risk-based internal audit plan to senior management and the Finance Committee for review and recommendation for approval to Common Council.
- Lead the execution of assigned engagements of the internal audit plan, including the establishment of objectives and scope, the assignment of appropriate and adequately supervised resources, the documentation of work programs and testing results, the understanding of the capabilities of the City to action on observations and the communication of engagement results with applicable conclusions and recommendations to the Director for review.
- Accountable to prepare and present findings and recommendations of audits to Audit Committee and Common Council
- Post-engagement oversight of engagement findings and corrective actions and prepare the report to senior management and the Finance Committee any corrective actions not effectively implemented.
- Oversight and support of staff who perform daily tasks related to the insurance requirements of the City and liaison with the City’s General Counsel office as required.
- Ensure the insurance files are appropriately maintained and abide by the City’s records management standard operating procedures.
- Act as the City’s official Risk Manager by ensuring all insurance claims, both those advanced by the City and those that are presented against the City, are appropriately managed and insurance reserves are in place to sufficiently fund claim requirements.
- Ensure the principles of integrity, objectivity, confidentiality, and competency are applied and upheld.
- Identify trends and emerging issues that could impact the City of Saint John are considered and brought to the attention of the Director.
- Identify emerging trends and successful practices in internal auditing for the continued advancement of the service to the City.
- Continued development of policies and procedures designed to guide the internal audit activities.
- Build, develop, and maintain strong relationships with team members and senior and executive management to encourage open dialogue and a collaborative approach to problem solving, continuous improvement, and corporate risk mitigation.
- Maintain adherence to the City of Saint John’s relevant policies and procedures unless such policies and procedures conflict with the internal audit charter.
- Identify resource requirements for the audits and the procurement of the services.
- Contribute to the renewal of the enterprise risk management program.
- Facilitate risk management workshops.
- Document the Internal Audit and Risk Management process and ensure files are of high quality.
- Perform other consulting or special projects as requested by the Director.
Experience and Education
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, commerce, or a related field, you must also:
- Possess a CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant), CIA (Certified Internal Auditor) and/or equivalent professional risk management or audit designation(s) required; and be a member in good standing
- A minimum of five (5) years professional accounting experience in a relevant field within the last ten years.
- Demonstrated knowledge of audit principles and practices.
- A demonstrated understanding of the application of audit and enterprise risk management standards and control frameworks with the ability to plan and coordinate multiple engagements.
- A willingness to obtain a CRM certification.
- Previous managerial experience, including managing staff
Skills and Abilities
- Strong collaboration skills
- Excellent ability to build relationships
- Active listening
- Critical Thinking
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
$88,461.00 - $97,640.00/year
Applications will be accepted through our online system only. Qualified applicants should submit their cover letters and resumes to:
City of Saint
Attention: Hiring Committee
www.saintjohn.ca (careers/employment opportunities)
The City of Saint John is an equal opportunity employer. Only those applicants being considered further will be contacted.