Who are we?
Founded in 1924, Irving Oil is a family-owned international refining and marketing company with a history of long-term partnerships and relationships. With operations throughout Eastern Canada, New England and Ireland we focus on delivering quality products and exceptional service to our customers and our communities. Every day, we strive to put our good energy in action to bring families together, support the environment and local wildlife, and to create learning opportunities that empower the next generation.
What you can expect from us
When you're a part of our team, you'll see how we bring good energy to all that we do. At Irving Oil, we strive for a work environment where each of us feels we belong, can bring our whole selves to work, and where we treat our fellow employees with kindness and respect. Together, we will support our corporate strategy, high standards and the communities where we live and work. Our collaborative approach, safety-first culture and commitment to building resilient teams helps reinforce our internal brand position where People Matter. That's why we're dedicated to investing in our employees’ potential, so that they can reach their career goals.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for the accurate and timely accounting and reporting for Treasury and Employee Services Accounting. They lead all accounting activity and review and approve work performed by Junior and Intermediate members of their team. The Senior Accountant acts as the key liaison between General Accounting and PCC owners/other stakeholders regarding Employee Services Accounting and Treasury Accounting. This position works closely with senior members of the Company’s Finance team to ensure timely and accurate completion of financial information. The Senior Accountant will also help in administrating the CPA Program on an ad-hoc basis.
What we offer
- Competitive salary, bonus, and pension plan;
- Flexible benefits, including a Health Spending Account;
- Hybrid Work Opportunity – flexible work model that supports a blend of in-office and remote;
- Wellness support, including annual wellness allowance and paid personal care days;
- Paid vacation and vacation purchasing;
- Personal and professional development opportunities;
- Named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for six consecutive years.
Your roles and responsibilities
- Document key processes within Treasury Accounting. Lead accurate and timely monthly close, consolidate and report process for the team;
- Review and approve complex journal entries prepared by Intermediate Accountants and all journal entries prepared by Junior - Treasury Accountant. Train/mentor more junior employees;
- Review and maintain monthly account reconciliations and other control activities;
- Review complex quarter and year end financial statement note prepared by Intermediate Accountant;
- Review annual pension plan financial statements and notes prepared by Junior and Intermediate team members;
- Be the key liaison between General Accounting and PCC owners/other stakeholders regarding Employee Services Accounting and Treasury Accounting;
- Ability to identify continuous improvement opportunities and implement advances;
- Lead external pension plan audit coordination;
- Review quarterly ICFR (Internal Control for Financial Reporting) IP4 Control File prepared by Intermediate Accountant;
- Assist with special projects as required;
- Apply financial accounting standards, identify and resolve departures from policies;
- Assist in administering the CPA Program Office on an Ad-Hoc basis.
- Excellent attention to detail, very organized, and can effectively multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Collaborative mindset and able to build relationships quickly with stakeholders;
- Positive outlook, takes initiative, focused on fostering excellence;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong analytical skills, external reporting and internal control knowledge;
- Ability to work in a team and direct the work of junior and intermediate staff;
- Strong knowledge of Financial Accounting Standards (IFRS and Pension);
- Out-of-the-box thinking with focus on continuous improvement;
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Travel is not a requirement for this role.
Education and Experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Post-secondary education in business, finance, or equivalent experience;
- CPA designation (or equivalent) required;
- 3+ years of post-qualification experience;
- Advanced Excel skills required.
Irving Oil supports a diverse and inclusive work environment and welcomes applications from all qualified applicants.