The Department of Finance and Treasury Board Secretariat is committed to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Accessibility. Our goal is to build a public sector workforce that reflects the diverse communities we serve and to promote welcoming, diverse, inclusive, respectful workplaces that are accessible to all. We welcome all interested individuals including Indigenous People, persons with disabilities, Black, racialized, ethnic and culturally diverse groups, as well as people regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identities, and gender expressions. Those looking for more information are invited to visit our Diversity & Inclusion Policy.
The purpose of this position is to conduct audits under the provisions of the Revenue Administration Act of the following consumption taxes, gasoline tax, tobacco tax and environment tax; under the provisions of the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) and the International Registration Plan (IRP) and under the provisions of the Emergency 911 Act and the Beverage Containers Act and associated Regulations.
- In accordance with the Revenue Tax Act and Revenue Administration Act, conducting revenue tax audits of businesses requiring advanced auditing techniques and acting as lead auditor on large, complex audits;
- Preparing working papers to document the reason for and calculate the amount of recommended audit adjustments and submitting for review to the audit supervisor;
- Reviewing notices of objection filed by vendors and providing recommendations on further action to the supervisor;
- Conducting specialized audits under The Environment Tax Act, The Tobacco Tax Act, The Gasoline Tax Act, telecommunications providers and beverage container distributers;
- Conducting compliance audits under the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) and International Registration Plan (IRP);
- Participating in special investigations as required;
- Providing interpretations of listed legislation and Retail Sales Tax Act;
- Providing assistance to vendors, consumers, professional accountants, lawyers, and the general public by responding to verbal queries on tax application and interpretation;
- Recommending and/or preparing special assessments;
- Assisting in the selection of audits to be scheduled;
- Participating in internal assignments as required;
- Reviewing proposed amendments to legislation, regulations, department policies and procedures and providing feedback;
- Assisting with the training and development of audit interns;
- Performing other related and allied duties as required.
- Must have a undergraduate degree in Business;
- Applicants must have a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation;
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills;
- Professional manner, exercising tact and diplomacy in a regulatory environment;
- Knowledge of the Province of PEI tax legislation and related regulations;
- Knowledge of the International Fuel Tax Agreement and International Registration Plan;
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle;
- The successful applicant must provide a satisfactory criminal records check prior to beginning employment.
Please Note: Preference will be given to UPSE Civil employees as per the UPSE Civil Collective Agreement.
$35.33 - $44.16 per hour (Level 18 UPSE)
Where possible, submitting an electronic resume or job application is preferred. Otherwise, please return forms to PEI Public Service Commission, P.O. Box 2000, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A 7N8. Applications may be sent by fax to (902) 368-4383. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE APPLICANT TO CONFIRM RECEIPT OF THE APPLICATION, BY TELEPHONE OR IN PERSON PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE. Please ensure that Posting ID 160956 is stated on all application forms. You can apply online or obtain an application form by visiting our web site at www.jobspei.ca. Forms may also be obtained by contacting any PEI Government office, ACCESS PEI Centre, Regional Services Centre, or by telephone (902) 368-4080.
Note: Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.